Sunday, January 22, 2012

Happy New Year Everyone!

_MG_4218
January 23rd, 2012 begins the Year of the Dragon.  I usually don't celebrate holidays, birthdays or anniversaries, but this year I had the biggest urge to do all the "New Year" things.  It's fun to decorate the house and make all of the traditional holiday foods.  I'm feeling homesick for that "big family" culture!  It's hard to get together as a family with modern day life, especially if you live in a culture that's vastly different from your own.  Imagine celebrating Christmas or Thanksgiving when it's not a holiday... i.e. you don't get time off work and school/life goes on as usual.  The most festive thing you see is an end-cap display of wilted bak choy, ginger and yellow mums at the grocery store.  It's hard to get excited about something when no one else is.  This year I told myself it doesn't matter... just have fun, so make a batch of dumplings enough to feed 50 people even if you're the only one who will eat it!  LOL... yes I have about 2 gallons of cioppino in the fridge because I wanted some and I don't know how to make a serving for one.  I've had cioppino for lunch for the last week, I don't think I'll want to eat it again for another 6-8 months. 

_MG_4072
I'd like to revive some traditions from my childhood.  I think the key is to make it fun and involve others who would share your enthusiasm.  Even the smallest gesture counts, like putting together a small display on your coffee table.  Happy New Year Everyone, I wish you good health and happiness in the year to come!

3 comments:

Lori said...

Happy New Year!

Chinwei said...

Just read about you and your work in an old Frankie mag and wanted to wish you a Happy Chinese New Year!

Diem Chau said...

Thanks Lori :)

Thanks Chinwei! That was a looong time ago. I love Frankie Mag & Assies!